Tuesday 23 September 2014

Book Review (385): The Queen Of The Tearling (The Queen Of The Tearling #1) - Erika Johansen


The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #1)

I have to admit that this book wasn't on my radar at all until it was announced  that Emma Watson had signed on for the movie adaptation, reading the synopsis had me intrigued, fantasy is a genre that I do enjoy to read but I seldom get a chance to, but I never would have guessed how much I would love this book.

Erika's writing captured me from the very first sentence, and before I knew it I was completely absorbed in the world-building and the well fleshed out characters.

Kelsea a Princess, has been in hiding ever since she was a baby, now that she has turned nineteen she is to return to Tearling to be anointed Queen, of course it's no smooth sailing, instead numerous people will use any means necessary to stop her on her journey, it's from here that we begin to learn just what kind of Queen she will be, whilst trying to fix the mistakes and problems that her long dead Mother and former Queen have left her with, incurring the wrath of the Regent who is also her Uncle and the Red Queen of Mortmesne while trying to right these wrongs.

We are introduced to quite a few new characters but none that catch my eye more than two in particular who will leave you incredibly eager to learn their stories and the secrets they hold, Lazarus (Mace) the Captain of the Queen's Guard who also guarded her Mother, and holds a wealth of information about the identity of Kelsea's Father and the circumstances surrounding her Mothers's death, and last but not least Fetch, we pretty much get no information on him only little tidbits that just aren't enough, I have so many questions about these two and I hope that they will be answered in the next book.

With a plot filled with action, a heroine that has no qualms about standing up for what she believes in and the sometimes humorous way that Kelsea speaks her mind, this has only made me more anxious to get my hands on the next book.

Erika has crafted a world that you will lose yourself in, this was a one sitting read for me, I just couldn't seem to tear my eyes away from this amazing story.

One of my favorite fantasy books of all time.

I give this 5/5 stars.


Erika Johansen was educated at Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania before attending the celebrated Iowa Writers Workshop, where she earned a Master of Fine Arts degree. She later became an attorney. The Queen Of The Tearling – the first book in a trilogy – is her debut. Erika lives in the San Francisco Bay Area of California.


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! Great review! I've been debating over this one myself recently. It sounded incredible but I hadn't seen any reviews and now after reading yours, I'm definitely adding it to my wishlist! I did hear about the movie deal but didn't know Emma Watson was going to be the lead! Yay!

    ReplyDelete